Best 7 Sites to Sell Your Used Products online
Before the Internet, selling used items was limited to local options. Nowadays, you can sell your old stuff on used product sale sites without even leaving your home by using an online marketplace or posting it on Craigslist.
All you need are a few items from around the house to get started.
It’s a great way to get rid of all the junk you have lying around your house and make some money on top. But for others, it can be an opportunity to start their own online business.
If you’re interested in starting an eCommerce business and need some great used product sale sites, we have some excellent information for you. We’ll cover the pros and cons of selling used items online, then where to find them to sell, how much they should cost on average at a store or online site, and what are considered the best places to list your products.
Pros and Cons of Selling Old Stuff on Sales Sites
There are pros and cons to selling used products on sale sites. One pro is that you can charge a higher price for your items, but one con is that customers will often ask questions about the product.
Pros in Selling Product on Used Product Sale Sites
- Starting your own business is easy. Unlike opening a physical store, you don’t have to look for or lease space in an expensive location, purchase lots of inventory up front–or do any of the other things that usually come with starting a brick-and-mortar shop.
- You can sell your old clothes and other items online to a new market of buyers. Many people don’t want anything too recent because they have exhausted their local sources, so you might as well try selling vintage clothes or jewelry.
- If you want to make some money, selling your used products online is a great way to reach more people.
- We all know that online shoppers can buy your products anytime, day or night. This means you need to be ready and available 24/7 as well.
- Online stores are easy to scale. If you start with used products, it’s possible that as your business grows, you will sell new items too. Physical stores have the disadvantage of being limited by space, but online shops don’t.
- It was not very expensive. Setting up an online store or signing on to sell at a marketplace is much less costly than opening your retail location.
- It turns out that there are other ways to sell online. Marketplaces like eBay allow you to set your price or auction off the product for someone willing to pay more.
Cons in Selling Product on Used Product Sale Sites
- Competition is fierce in the eCommerce industry. There are so many options for buyers that it can be hard to stand out when they have limitless choices.
- It can be impersonal, and some people say they like to shop in person because of the opportunity for face-to-face interaction with an actual salesperson.
- When you sell used products, it’s hard to make your customers feel confident in their purchase. That’s because they can’t touch or examine the product before buying online. And that lack of physical contact is significant when selling furniture and electronics.
- Customers are not just motivated by money. Customers want to buy products right away, which is why online shopping with instant gratification can inspire shoppers.
- The IRS does not include kindly business owners who do not adequately account for their income and expenses. This means you need an accountant if your sales volume is high enough.
- The growth of credit card fraud is affecting the eCommerce industry. It can lead to chargebacks that result in the loss of revenue, but it’s easier for criminals to take advantage of online sellers than those who deal with customers face-to-face.
Finding Used Items to Sell in Used Product Sale Sites
If you’re looking for second-hand products to sell on your eCommerce store, the best places are:
Garage sales are always a great place to find treasures. Usually, the people running them don’t know much about prices, so they sell things at meager rates for their “junk” to get sold quickly. As the old saying goes, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure!”
You might think that going to a thrift store is just like going into your own business, but you’ll be surprised by the deals and bargains. While they don’t have as many reasonable prices as yard sales, some things are still worth looking at.
If you’re looking for a way to make some extra cash, try getting into the auction business. Sometimes it might seem like auctions are more trouble than they’re worth, but if you look hard enough and know what’s going on, there could be just about anything that will help your bottom line.
You might be able to find great deals at storage auctions. You have to buy the whole unit without looking inside, but you never know what will happen.
There are a lot of goods at the flea market, and some people sell their stuff while others buy.
If you know what kind of product you’re looking for, Craigslist is a good option. But if not, the web site’s search function might be time-consuming.
Some of the items are junk, but others can be a goldmine if you scrutinize them.
Putting a Price on Second-Hand Products
What’s the secret to pricing your used products? Well, we’ve got some helpful tips for you!
- If you want to know the retail price of your product, search for it online. Make sure that you’re looking at a similar design or model because models can be unique and have different values.
- The general rule is to price new items at half their original cost and discount older products by 25% for two-year-old merchandise. Of course, there are exceptions – do your homework before pricing any item.
- When pricing your products, don’t just look at what is sold in the same category. Take a peek at how much people are willing to pay for similar items.
- When you’re just starting, it’s essential to keep an eye on your pricing. You need to be constantly looking at how much people are willing and able to pay for the product or service that you offer. You must check it often and make adjustments as needed, especially for eCommerce product prices that fluctuate wildly in just one day.
Where to Sell Your Used Products Online?
Here are the top places to sell your used stuff online:
Selling used products on eBay is a no-brainer. With the increasing size of online auction sites, it’s easy to see why there are so many buyers and sellers these days.
The eBay marketplace is a great place to sell an item. You can either set your price or create a live auction, and there will be more competition than on other marketplaces, but it’ll also give you far better exposure.
If you are starting on eBay, they will give you 50 free listings. After that, it is $0.35 for each listing, and there’s a 10% final value fee up to $750 maximum.
Amazon started as a book-selling website, but it has grown into its largest marketplace. Along with books and media like DVDs and CDs (which Amazon also sells), you can find just about anything on Amazon- even used products in some categories! That makes for excellent visibility.
That means you’ll have more people trying to take your job, but at least the pay is good.
In addition to a variable closing fee, individual sellers will pay $0. 99 per item sold.
45 to $1. 35.
If you’re a seller who sells more than 40 units per month, we recommend upgrading to the Professional Seller plan.
You can sell used goods on Etsy, but they must be vintage. If an item is at least 20 years old, it’s considered vintage.
But, it can be lucrative if that’s what your business does best.
Etsy charges a low monthly fee and will give you four months of free listing.
Poshmark is the best app for sellers of used clothing. Sellers can sell men’s, women’s, and children’s apparel at any price point to Poshmark customers who purchase through their mobile phone with the app.
Poshmark takes care of the financial side, provides customer service to shoppers, and sends free shipping labels.
Once your item sells, Poshmark will take $2. They charge a flat fee of $2.
All items under $15 are charged a 95 cent fee, and for anything else, the seller has to pay 20% of the listing price.
DeCluttr is a marketplace for used media items. You can sell your DVDs, CDs, video games, and more on this site, limiting what you can list, but it’s a great option if you’re looking to offload some of your old stuff.
If you are looking for a different online marketplace, DeClutter is where to go. Unlike other sites where people sell their products on consignment or commission only, here at DeClutter, buyers buy items outright.
- You can enter any item in your possession and instantly get a valuation from DeCluttr.
- If you agree to the valuation, DeCluttr will send a free shipping label for your item.
- Once we receive your item, you will be paid within 24 hours. We accept PayPal and direct deposit and checks or donations to the charity of your choice.
Bonanza is fantastic because it is easy to set up a storefront and get traffic. The marketplace is growing in popularity, which means more buyers are coming.
So not only is it free to list items on Bonanza, but you pay a tiny commission of the final selling price. This can be as low as 3%!
eBay has a higher cost of selling, though.
OfferUp is a marketplace that connects buyers and sellers of goods locally. When someone expresses interest in your item, you can negotiate with them about the transaction.
However, if you’re uncomfortable choosing a safe place for this transaction, OfferUp has created its Safe Trade Spots finder tool that will help you select an appropriate location.
With OfferUp, you can get and sell items from your phone for free. You don’t need to pay anything.
Selling used products online can be a great way to make money, as long as you know what you’re doing. You never know where the next fantastic item will come from! Understanding how it works and your strengths are crucial if you want to sell these items.