How to Find Best Niches?
Whether you’re an e-commerce veteran or just starting, it can be hard to find a niche product that sets your business apart. Luckily for us all, the market is full of ideas.
This article will touch on a few topics, including what an e-commerce niche is and how to choose your own.
So read on, and we’ll tell you what it is, how to do it, and why some people think that’s a good idea.
But we know you want to be ahead of the curve, so we put together a list for you: our predictions on what’s going to explode in 2021.
When it comes to e-commerce, you can target specific niches and audiences by honing in on their interests. These categories include:
- Demographic: Different people are motivated by different things. Factors like age, gender, income, and education all play a role in encouraging an individual.
- Geographic: The company is trying to create the best customer experience by considering its customers.
- Psychographic: Characteristics of a person’s thoughts, such as their attitudes and interests.
- Pricing: Similar to the income level, the premium is more expensive than affordable.
You could sell anything from a necklace to rings and earrings.
The jewelry market is enormous!
What do you tell a 13-year old girl who wants to buy an “I’m in love” mood ring, and what would you say to the 30-year-old man looking for his future wife’s engagement ring?
It turns out that when you have a small business marketing budget, there is no easy answer.
Some industries could use your expertise, and we’ve outlined just some below:
- handmade wooden watches
- vintage jewelry from a specific era
- Star Wars cuff links
- custom charms
Best Ecommerce Niches
Timing is everything when it comes to making sure you hit the right markets.
The competition in the industry is so fierce; try to focus on new trends before anyone else does.
Based on the research we’ve done, these are our top 10 best e-commerce niche products for 2021.
1. Beauty Products of Men
Gender norms are a thing of the past, and I’m going to break them down in this new decade.
You might not be surprised to see men’s beauty products on our e-commerce niche list. Men have been getting more into their appearance lately, and the market for beard grooming has seen healthy growth over the last five years.
If you’re selling to a more traditional customer base, it’s worth remembering that classic toiletries are still popular. Products like beard wax and oils, moisturizer, and lip balm, are also doing well.
This niche is perfect for subscription boxes because the products are so specialized. Women will want to try samples before they commit, and as such, this type of product is best suited for subscriptions.
2. Home Pieces of Equipment
Fitness equipment has long been the bread and butter of e-commerce companies, but in 2021 it’s going to get even better. The push towards home exercise is causing many people to stay at home instead of public gyms, which are becoming more common – some prefer their gym.
For online retailers, it’s difficult to ship anything that isn’t lightweight. With treadmills and heavy equipment weighing them down, they have a hard time competing with brick-and-mortar stores when it comes to more oversized items: kettlebells, roller wheels, slam balls.
You can also buy a lot of workout stations online, so it’s not too hard to find the one that suits your needs. It’s just as easy when you have them delivered in an easily accessible box.
3. Politics Books
There are a lot of books out there, with different categories for fiction and nonfiction. You can even find niche titles like vegan Cajun cookbooks in Spanish.
The political niche has been growing at a special rate lately. These niches have their built-in audiences, but this one has been expanding the most.
It seems that books about current politicians are the hottest category in literature these days. Titles such as Bob Woodward’s Fear and Rage on the Trump presidency or Ruth Bader Ginsberg biographies aimed at children seem to be topping bestseller lists.
With the recent protests in Charlottesville, books on race have been trending. Candice Owen’s Blackout is currently ranked 3rd among Amazon Books
4. SkinCare Products
Many people are trying to make their lives as eco-friendly as possible in this day and age. This is why it’s a good idea for businesses to consider branching out into new areas that could be very profitable.
I’m happy to report that the success of Honey Pot, makers of all-natural washes and wipes, have helped contribute to their popularity.
They had had a great year in 2020, and other companies are trying to find their way into the market.
It turns out that women are looking for more than just products with sound environmental practices. They want the skincare properties of natural and eco-friendly brands as well.
5. Pet Care Products
For years, pet supplies and food have been the second-and-third most popular CPG product categories in e-commerce. It’s no surprise that these items are just as popular online.
Natural pet food and treats are a hot trend. Combine these with the already-popular organic dog food, and you have an easy way to tap into two of Pet Biz Marketer’s top retail trends.
It can be a complicated process, but the benefits are well worth it.
One of the things wonderful about these products is they are made with natural ingredients and no preservatives. It’s also easier to sell them because people will buy anything for their pets.
Still, it is worth the time to shop for your pet because they are so happy when you do. You will get back what you put in with how much people enjoy shopping for their pets.
6. Disinfectant Products
Disinfectants were a bestseller in 2020, but surprisingly they’re not as popular now. I was surprised that interest is still higher than before March and has declined only slightly since the summer.
It’s safe to say that we will be using disinfectants for a long time, and they might become an everyday necessity.
The shortage of Clorox’s wipes has created a demand for disinfectant products. It will be hard to tell when this trend is going to change.
This year, Microban is finally being noticed by the market for its innovative line of products. This has given them a chance to steal some customers from other brands.
Not exactly sure why people are now going for the more expensive rugs.
It seems that these days,
Maybe this has to do with people’s desire for protection against germs and viruses, or perhaps they want something new in their homes.
A recent study has found that the keywords “rugs” are surprising breakouts. The keyword “boutique rugs” is up nearly 200%.
Online retailers, you should be happy to hear this.
You can store your rugs in the garage and get them out for sale when you need to. The prices are also flexible, depending on what kind of customer you’re trying to attract.
One of the best things about this strategy is that there are many niches to target. Depending on your brand, you can also pick a cavity, but it seems like “boutique rugs” have been popular with everyone.
8. Personal Organization Products
Along the same lines as high-end rugs, there’s an increased interest in personal organization products – specifically for garages and closets. We may also have to thank the quarantine because it seems like people are becoming more conscious about what they keep around them.
Organization helpers are not as flashy or showy as other items on this list, but they’re more of a necessity than an impulse buy.
But also make the perfect accessory for other items. You can find wall organizers, DIY shelving units, and pegboards at stores like Bed Bath & Beyond.
Consider selling closet organizers like shoe racks or hangers if you’re a clothing retailer.
If you’re looking for a new e-commerce niche, why not start with electronics? Smart speakers are predicted to be the most popular device in 2021.
It’s not new, but people finally realize that smart speakers are more than a fad. More and more households want one for themselves.
According to this article, Roku is a hot seller. It connects streaming services like Netflix and Hulu with your TV and killer audio quality. The 4th generation of the Amazon Echo Dot is also rising in popularity.
10. Smart Everyday Products
If you’ve read our article on the top e-commerce niches for last year, then you’ll know that this entry is no surprise. It seems like everyone’s still looking to buy something.
In the future, we’ll be introducing a new eco-friendly product that will take your kitchen from zero to hero. We’re also going green with our menstrual products.
One way to help the environment is by using cloth diapers or reusable diapers.
If you’re thinking about going green and saving the planet, then there’s no better way to do that than by switching from disposable diapers. This will help keep your trash down and save money because you won’t have to buy new diapers every few weeks.
More and more people are looking for bamboo toothbrushes because they’re environmentally friendly. Unlike traditional plastic brushes, these biodegradable ones can be composted at home or thrown in the trash.
Advantages of Selling Niche Products
People often say that the best way to find a niche is casting a wide net. That’s how companies like Amazon and Walmart can do so well, but they also have the resources of time, money, and personnel at their disposal.
For smaller businesses, it can be challenging to find enough customers for a wide variety of products. Selling just one or two types is much easier and will not drain your funds.
When you factor in all the costs of running a business, like inventory and storage space shipping fees for sending out your product to customers who order it online or through catalogs, you’ll barely make enough profit to cover these expenses.
The following are the benefits of focusing on a popular niche and utilizing multichannel selling for entrepreneurs:
1. Less Expensive
Saving money is hard enough, but it’s even more challenging when you’re the small fish in a big pond. Luckily, ways to keep don’t involve spending more on marketing or hiring much staff.
- Cheaper Marketing. Developing a strategy for marketing to niche groups is much easier than trying to sell the same thing to everyone. You know your customers better than anyone else, and you’re able to provide them with the products they want. This is a win-win situation for both my customers and me. I can offer them high-quality service without breaking the bank, and they get to have top-notch customer support. You’ll never need to wonder if you spent your money on the proper advertisement or targeted it at the wrong audience.
- Lower Storage Fees. Storing products in a warehouse can be costly, significantly when storage fees rise. Be selective about what you sell because if it’s not a good product, the FBA fees will eat up your profits.
- Fewer Listing Fees. It’s a bad idea to list your products on five different channels when you have to pay listing fees for each one. There is less risk when you have a limited product line because it’s easier to predict what will sell.
2. Better Profits
Selling niche products is not only less expensive, but it can also make you more money. You will save on costs and have a higher profit margin in the long run because of this.
- Higher Prices. The only way to win in a competitive market is not necessarily by being the cheapest. Determine the cost of your product and determine what pricing strategy is best for you based on customer research. Niche products are usually less competitive because there is more need for the product. For example, if you’re selling expensive sports cars and your competition starts to sell cheaper models, it becomes even easier to make money.
- Brand Loyalty. Hitting a niche market allows retailers to build an identity, which is hard for liquidator-type stores. With the advancement of technology, merchants can create a more personalized experience for their target customers. This leads to stronger brand loyalty and repeats sales because people love feeling special.
- Better ROI. One of the best ways to build a brand is by tapping into social media and getting influencers on your side. Influencer marketing can be an 11x more profitable strategy than traditional advertising.
3. Reduced Resources
Managing the vast number of products in so many categories is not reasonable for small businesses.
Not only are you responsible for making sure that your product is well-stored, but you also have to keep track of all the different identifiers and make sure they’re listed on each platform.
- Less Management. It’s not for the first-time retailer to try and keep track of all these different SKUs. You should hire more employees or invest in better inventory software to keep your stock levels updated. It’s easy to start a business with just one product. If you’re still in the beginning stages, having only 1 or 2 products is advantageous. The more channels you go into, the easier it will be to create similar but slightly different effects.
- Lean Staff. If you want to improve your brand visibility and increase sales, try implementing a multichannel selling strategy. But, it can be frustrating for sellers with an extensive product catalog because the UI is clunky and doesn’t allow them to show off their products. Selling products is challenging work. You need a team of employees to list your items, and even then, you’ll still be missing the mark. By implementing a new performance-based pay system, I’ve saved tons of payroll dollars and the frustration that comes with it.
- Better Supplier Relationships. Finally, it’s worth noting that staying within a niche means you have fewer supplier relationships to manage. You have time to build better connections with your suppliers and negotiate more advantageous deals for you.
How to Find Best E-Commerce Niche?
You want to get started, but you’re not sure what niche would be the best fit for your business.
I will share three tips that will help you find the perfect niche for your business.
1. Do More Research
Whether you’re new to the game or just looking for some inspiration, you must do your research and figure out what will work.
As a business owner, I recommend following trends on the internet and using Google Trends to see what’s popular. You can also check selling opportunities on Amazon.
If you’ve never used Google Trends before, we have a great guide on how to use it!
2. Choose Wisely
Want to know how you can start an e-commerce business? The answer is simple: just follow these few rules.
To make the right decision, you should consider:
- You can make a living selling niche products priced at more than $15 but don’t go much higher than $200. With the help of this, you can usually find a good balance between profitability and average order values. It also helps with demand.
- You may think that a seasonal product will bring in money only during the season, but it might not. Sure, you can make a lot of money by selling seasonal products. But it’s more challenging and risky for small businesses than sticking to the basics.
- The key to successful retail is not stocking items that will go bad before they can be sold. Unless you already have a customer base that wants those products, it’s probably best to avoid them. To illustrate this point, consider the rapid depreciation of electronics.
- You may think that pricing an electronic item is a straightforward process, but jewelry and informational items are more subjective. To encourage sales, it’s crucial to offer more confusing prices. This way, the customer will feel like they’re getting a bargain and can’t be sure if you’re just screwing them over.
- Items that are hard to ship and fragile should be avoided because they will lead to unnecessary stress.
- Niche stores are often better off with smaller products that they can focus on.
3. Search All Deals
Check out what other people are selling on Google searches to see a better deal for you.
You want to see if the market is already oversaturated with sellers. You can also analyze who’s doing well and what their marketing strategies are so you know how best to present your products.
If you see a seller that’s constantly popping up in your searches, then take the time to get more information on them. Check out their online store and social media channels for insight into what they’re like as an individual.